How this international student celebrated her 21st birthday

Victoria Spain and me celebrating our birthdays at the Cheesecake Factory

How does an international student celebrate her birthday you ask?

Well, to begin with, don’t get too pumped up about random shenanigans that you might have expected. My birthday was anything but boring, but probably the best word to explain it would be responsible. I know, I know, sounds boring.

Well, to me and a lot of people I know on Hanover’s campus, turning 21 can be more than just legally being able to consume alcohol, it’s also a wake up call about how school and decisions about a career are an immediate concern.

My birthday dinner
My birthday dinner

Besides being an upperclassman in an intense private liberal arts program, I’m also taking classes that are beating the life out of me! (I think I mentioned that in my previous post) Don’t get me wrong, I did end up not doing any homework till Sunday afternoon; I even went out with my friends both Friday and Saturday night.

One of my really close friends and Theta sister Victoria’s birthday was just two days prior to mine, so we ended up celebrating it together. She didn’t turn 21, but it was an occasion enough to get dinner at the Cheesecake Factory along with two other friends.

The Cheesecake Factory we went to was in Louisville, which is just 45 minutes away from campus. Yes, we live around civilization — three major Midwestern cities to be more precise: Indianapolis, Louisville and Cincinnati.

That’s a major perk of being at Hanover, you get the seclusion of a small private liberal arts college, along with being just a few miles away from hustle and bustle of cities. I’m a big city girl, so I like me some city air when I can get some.

Birthday cheescake :)
Birthday cheescake :)

The dinner at the Cheesecake Factory was great. We did end up getting a not-so-great waiter, though we did get “Happy Birthday” sung to us with candles in our humongous cheesecakes. Those portions can feed a family of four for sure, even if everyone had my appetite.

Being safe when it comes to alcohol on Hanover’s damp campus ties hand in hand with how great our security personnel is. Click on those links for additional information on our tailgating policies and security.