How I became a music major

I've spent so many lovely afternoons in the practice room.
I’ve spent so many lovely afternoons in the practice room.

I have always loved music for my entire life., but I never thought I would actually become a music major in college. I think this could be explained by the Hanover College magic. As a liberal arts college student, you are required to take LADR (Liberal Arts degree Requirements) courses that involve different disciplines. And that really expands your view of the real world and opens up different opportunities in your life.

I started playing the piano when I was 10. No matter what I play, my parents fall asleep every time I play for them, which never makes me feel confident about my piano skills, even though they explained that it’s because my music makes them feel relaxed.

(This also shows that if I ever want to demonstrate my discontent about something to my parents, playing the piano at midnight is not an option).

Anyway, I stopped playing the piano in high school because of the heavy school work. When I first came to Hanover, I just wanted to take piano lessons as a way to relax. But things don’t always turn out to be the way you want them to be, no matter how good or bad.

The more classes I took, the more I got to know how I really felt about music. My piano professor showed me the things that I never noticed before, such as how music really has soul.

I now realize that when I play the piano, I am doing more than just playing the notes on the music sheets. I am bringing the pieces back to life so they can embrace us. I used to practice just to live up to the teachers’ expectation. But now, I can practice all day long because I’m truly in love with music.

My roommate always yells, “Your fingers are gonna fall off,” when she knows that I am going to practice AGAIN.

Luckily, my efforts haven’t gone to waste. I had my own piano recital last May and I performed at a talent show as well as the President Honors the Arts, part of Hanover’s Community Arts Series. Let’s see how far I can go.

BTW, as a music major requirement, I have to learn another orchestra instrument. Any suggestions?