Don’t stress

My first week of my sophomore year was a stressful one. Luckily, it wasn’t as stressful as my previous college year. I’ve learned some techniques to overcome stress and how to manage my time better.

As a freshman, I was scared during my first couple of weeks. When I got my first class syllabus, I thought I was going to break down right there in class. But now I know if I manage my time wisely, it’s a little easier to get it all done.

Not only did the class work take a toll on me, managing my classes was something else I had to adjust to. Dropping and adding classes can put stress on any student the first week of school. You have to get both professors to approve, get your faculty advisor’s signature and you have to complete all this in the first week of school.

Fortunately, I have not had to drop or add any classes this year, which has taken a great amount of stress off my shoulders.

The gift bags my mom made my roommates and I to ease our stress on our first week of school!

The first week also comes with the introduction to many activities you might be involved in on campus and that brings many, many meetings. I think I had about six or seven meetings through the course of the week. So, that can create stress if you are not comfortable with managing time or familiar with the places your meetings are located.

This week, we also had Fall Convocation, many of the sports teams started lifting and conditioning and some students started the work-study program.  It can all be a little overwhelming, but just remember to take a deep breath and take everything one day at a time.

My advice to all freshmen or any other student is that even though you may have been busy the first week and you think to yourself, “I don’t have enough time to do anything,” the best thing you can do is get involved. Join a club, think about going Greek or join an intramural sports team. You will make new friends and stay busy, which will help you learn how to manage time.

Another bit of advice is don’t freak out! Everyone has experienced the same stress level as you are during the first few weeks, but you will get adjusted soon enough, and it will be easier to manage.

Luckily, on a small campus like Hanover, you have plenty of professors, coaches, peers and teammates who are willing to help you and ease your stress a little. If you’re a Hanover student, I’m also just a blog away if you need help finding a place to study or someone to help you with a class.  The best advice I can give anyone is don’t be afraid to ask for help.