Don’t waste your summer, do an internship

Internship at Morris House Hotel and Temple University (Pa.), Fall 2012

My journey at Space Camp is finally coming to an end in two weeks, and I couldn’t be happier. Turkey is a gorgeous country and during my week off this week I have the opportunity to visit one of the most beautiful beaches in Turkey called Fethiye.

My experience here in Turkey has definitely been one for the books, and I am so happy I blogged about all my experiences that I have had while I was away. I learned a lot about myself, some other cultures, and I have gained a lot from this internship experience.

Intern at Vagabond Cruise, Summer 2012
Intern at Vagabond Cruise, Summer 2012

Since I have been at Hanover, I have completed four internships for credit. It is definitely something that I would suggest doing during your summers while at Hanover. The college has a great database full of websites and a huge network of alumni.

Personally, it makes sense to do internships every summer while you’re in college. Most allow you to get away from home, put to use all the skills you have acquired at Hanover, and put you on the right track to decide what career path you may or may not want to take.

Other times you end up like me: all the internships I have participated in have definitely made my decision for a career path so difficult. One day, I might wake up and tell myself, “Today, I have decided I will pursue a career in PR/Marketing once I graduate.”

The next day I will say, “No, no, I can’t do that. I will work in athletic communications and write press releases and work at a college.”

This type of behavior continues for about four days until I have covered about four different industries and end up back at square one, which is having no idea what I want do with my life.

Internship at Space Camp Turkey, summer 2013

Having several internship opportunities has definitely provided life-changing, network increasing and character building experiences. My network stretches from the east coast all the way to the west coast of the United States,as far north as New York and as far south as Mexico, and now I have expanded my network of friends and job connections as far east as Turkey.

Whether or not you love your internship or hate your internship you are getting something out of it. And I encourage all students to get comfortable being uncomfortable and try something new next summer.