Happy Independence Day from Turkey

The countdown has begun, and I will officially leave Izmir in 46 days. We celebrated Independence Day on the lawn behind camp, and it was one of the few times all of the American counselors and our one Bulgarian had hung out since camp started.

It was so nice, and there was an open bar, so that just topped off the event making it even better. Not only were there English and Turkish speakers, but a ton of other interesting people.

I met two men who were affiliated with the army from America and also an older Canadian man with some amazing stories to tell. I think the best part of the night was being able to meet the current U.S. ambassador to Turkey. He was such a nice guy and even took a picture with me, which I thought was super awesome.

We were way under dressed for the event, since we had been told to wear our Space Camp Turkey shirts and jeans while everyone else was rocking suits and cocktail dresses, but somehow I felt really at home at the Independence Day event.

998505_10200676295203336_1962305535_n
 Me and U.S. Ambassador to Turkey Francis Ricciardone Jr.

Another great addition to the night was a great band hired straight from New Orleans. Since I am obsessed with the movie “The Princess and the Frog,” which was set in Louisiana, I really loved the music. After playing at the Independence Day event first, they then made their way to Istanbul for a music festival/competition.

It was such a great combination of American people, Turkish people and others from all around the world, and it was comforting to know that there are Americans working in Izmir and really enjoying their time. Maybe one day I will have the opportunity to be that person for someone else.