Entering the professional world

It is really weird to have once walked around in the halls of Kosair Children’s Hospital in a patient gown, then a volunteer t-shirt and now a suit and tie. I see several familiar faces and they comment on how professional I look and, in a way, that’s all well and good, but I miss being a little kid.

I miss not having deadlines or meetings beyond who’s house I was going to ride my bike to. But I am about to be a sophomore in college,and I have to get adjusted to my new 8 a.m.-to-5 p.m. schedule.

Gage as a wee lad
Gage as a wee lad

Today, I started in the marketing department, shadowing a few of my bosses’ meetings. Lauren, the mentor I am going to spend the most time with in marketing, took me to a human resources meeting this morning.

The planned meeting was interesting but when everyone except for Lauren and her two friends left, that’s when the meeting was at its juiciest. I sat silently, listening intently, of course, to the three talk about topics that ranged from babies to marketing jargon.

I got so caught up in their conversation that time seemed not to exist, and by the time there were no more updates and everyone finally stood up, we were on our way to our last meeting before lunch.

The second half of the day was a little duller. Unfortunately, I  cannot disclose the nature of my adventure, but it consisted of my partner, Amer, and starting from the bottom floor of two hospital buildings, and looking at brochures and letterhead for an afternoon.

The overall project is very interesting, however, and I’m excited to be a part of it, but there are always the jobs that no one wants to do. Amer and I still made light out of it, complimenting each other on our form when we climbed the several sets of stairs we faced.

Tomorrow morning,I am off to Norton Suburban Hospital. Wish me luck!

Until then,

Gage