On my own

I haven’t been home since the Christmas season, and  by the looks of it, it might not be until the end of summer — or even Thanksgiving break next semester — that I’ll go back up north. Sure, I miss being home and seeing my family and friends, but at the same time, it feels great to live by and (mostly) take care of myself.

I still have Mom and Dad to thank for taking care of my car insurance and cell phone bill, but aside from that, I’m on my on out here.

Granted, my living expenses aren’t uncontrollable monsters by any stretch of the imagination, but money is money. I have to pay for a place to live, food, gas money and any other miscellaneous expenses that might occur. Luckily, I was able to land the perfect job for the summer. I am a paid actor (keep in mind that I’m a computer science major) for the Rivers Institute Traveling Theatre, right here at the college.

The cast of the Rivers theatre, doing our best Run DMC pose.
The cast of the Rivers Institute Theatre Troupe, doing our best Run DMC pose.

The job pays more than enough to cover my expenses. In fact, included in my pay is money to cover a place to live. Currently, I live on campus in a house that the college owns, Young House, with the rest of the cast and a couple other people.

Since it is summer, campus food facilities are closed, which means I have to hunt for my own food elsewhere. I’ve mostly lived on a diet of macaroni and cheese, ramen noodles, cereal and the occasional trip to McDonald’s, but every now and then someone in the house makes an actual meal, and there is always enough to share.

We just finished opening weekend with our show, “Nothing Stops this Train.” It is a play inspired by the efforts of locals John and Sarah Tibbets to free slaves in the underground railroad.

Over the course of the summer we will have about 20 total shows, ranging from here on the river all the way up to Chicago. This summer should be a good one!