Back at it: Hanover blog summer edition

Summer is underway, and several Hanover students have decided to disperse themselves across the world. I currently have friends in North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Puerto Rico and London, that’s only the start.My country of choice was Turkey, so I am living it up and working in the beautiful city of Izmir.

I remember looking out the window and saying goodbye to HC for the summer. It was weird to think that I would be gone for three months, this time to a foreign country. I have lived in two other cities on the East Coast, but I hadn’t ever left the country until now.

What landed me in Turkey was an internship at Space Camp Turkey. I wasn’t particularly interested in space, but I have a niche when it comes to kids. After arriving, I endured two weeks of training, took two quizzes and a final. It wasn’t all bad; we were able to travel during our weekends off. I visited Cesme beach and also went a boat trip.

My adventures don’t end there. either. It’s actually just the beginning.

181416_10200437228666822_1156751296_n
Turkish Flag at Kadifekale

It’s a cliché to say that distance makes the heart grow fonder, but after being so far away from Hanover and all my friends for less than a month, I am really starting to think this might be true.

There is about a seven-hour difference between here and Indiana, so to reconnect I often have delightful Snapchats and Facebook messages to share with my friends. Unfortunately, they usually receive them at about 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. and they reply to me at about 17:00 (5 p.m.) or 18:00 (6 p.m.) Eastern European time.

As I await the arrival of my senior year, I am met with feelings of extreme happiness at reuniting with my friends, mixed with a sense of dismay knowing that I will have to complete a senior thesis and a comprehensive exam.

I will definitely spend this summer enjoying every minute of free time that I have and then fly home, move back to HC, mentor some wonderful freshmen during August Experience and kick off my senior year.