All grown up

I never thought the day would come where I would say, “I am a college student.” For me, it has always been a dream of mine to get into college because of the struggles I face at school. But hey, look at me now; I will attend Hanover this fall. Crazy right? I know!

My twin and I, all grown up! I am on the left and Nicole is on the right

To run track for Hanover is such a blessing. I am waiting for someone to slap me across the face and wake me up from this crazy dream. I don’t know if anyone else feels the same way I do, where yesterday you got on the school bus for your first day of school, and now here you are at college.

Life — it seems more and more as you get older — goes by so fast.

I started running track in the sixth grade. The weirdest thing about it was in middle school, I was a distance runner. Today, you wouldn’t catch me dead running more than a mile. I love hurdling and sprinting.

Seven years later, I will continue my track career at a higher level in college. I am so blessed to receive this opportunity from Coach Power. I am extremely nervous, though. I received my track workouts for the summer, and when I looked at it, I cried a little on the inside.

I went straight up to my twin sister and said, in a dramatic voice, “Nicole, I will die this summer. I just wanted to let you know.” She gave me the strangest facial expression, like a confused monkey.

I know I will make it through all the workouts, though, because I am a lot stronger now than I was back then, or at least I like to believe I am.

Even though I am 18 years old,  and will turn 19 September 1, I act like a little kid at heart. You hear everyone say, “You’re 18 now, time to grow up,” which is true, but you can’t be serious all the time.

You can still be an adult and sing in the shower to Adele, acting as if you had an angel voice like hers. In reality though, for me at least, your voice might sound like someone getting hit in the face with a baseball — very painful.

To get through all the hard work in school, I believe you have to have a positive outlook on things. Trust me, I work extremely hard in school and am serious about it, but I like to have fun with it.

Don’t get the wrong idea, I can be serious, too. My Morality class, in high school, my classmates called me Oprah because I got serious when someone needed advice in class. It’s good, especially in school, to find the balance between taking situations seriously and being goofy with them. Some people call that well-rounded.

Earlier this year, when a doctor asked me, “What school do you plan to attend,” I was so baffled by the question that I laughed a little. It seemed unreal to say, “I’m going to Hanover College this fall.” It hits you how fast life has gone at the weirdest times. I am so appreciative of the life God has given me, and I couldn’t ask for anything better.