Superhero Sprint!

This year flew by so fast that I can hardly believe it’s basically over. I felt like my freshman year went by fast, but sophomore year was even quicker. Time flies when you’re having fun, right? The year isn’t quite over yet, so the fun is still going on.

This past weekend, one of the sororities on campus, Kappa Alpha Theta, hosted a 5k run/walk with a bit of a twist: the race had a superhero theme that they dubbed the “Superhero Sprint.” The proceeds from the race went to CASA, which is an organization that appoints people and lawyers to help neglected and abused children find good homes and thrive in their lives.

And they're off!
And they’re off!

Normally, sororities on campus ask members of one of the fraternities on campus to DJ their events, but they wouldn’t do the event unless Theta agreed to pay them.

When they found this out they came to my fraternity, Sigma Chi, and asked us for help instead. Since it was a philanthropy event we agreed to bring out our equipment and DJ for free.

Setting up turned out to be a little more difficult than we expected. They wanted us in front of Coulter house, which was no problem other than the fact that there was nowhere for us to plug our equipment in. Matt found a way around this though, and ran an extension cord from somewhere in the building and out a window for us to use.

Screaming out "Living on a Prayer," as the superheros did their duty.
Singing loud and proud for our superheros!

Working at the event was fun, and we enjoyed getting a little bit of sun too; I’ve got some mad tan lines from the two hours in the sun.

There were close to, if not more than 100 people partaking in the 5k. I’ve never seen so many superheros in one place.

(Except maybe in that X-Men movie where they all go to war.)

Other than Wonder Woman tripping and spraining her ankle the race wound up being a huge success, and raised more than $4,000! I was more than glad to have a hand in helping Kappa Alpha Theta raise money for charity.