Summer basketball

Even though my spring class is wrapping up this week, my time here at Hanover College for the summer is not over, since my teammates and I will help put on a camp for young girls.  It’s not only a good way to get young girls interested in Hanover basketball, but also to catch up with all of our fellow teammates and coaches.

One camp offered is for grades 3-9 the week of June 16-19. Girls will get to experience college life by sleeping in dorm rooms, playing lots of basketball and eating in the Campus Center. Camp sessions include a Fundamental Skills Camp where they learn the fundamentals of basketball. Campers also play 5-on-5 and 3-on-3 tournaments, as well as play in individual contests. The cost for the camp is $295.

There’s another camp for grades 9-12. This is a college prep camp. It offers a more intense level to prepare high school students for college play. Team defense concepts and offensive development are the main focus of this camp. The dates for camp are June 30-July 2, and the cost is $225.

The brochure for the Hanover Girls' Basketball Camp this summer.
The brochure for the Hanover Girls’ Basketball Camp this summer.

Coach Jones and Jonesy do an excellent job of involving everyone in the camps and preparing young girls for a college experience. I still remember my time as a camper, and the fun I had when my friends and I attended the camp. We were on top of the world, playing basketball with college girls, sleeping in a college dorm room, and away from our parents for a week.

So, if you have siblings, nieces, or a girl in your family who needs something to do this summer, send them over to Hanover for a great experience. You can contact Coach Jones at jonesm@hanover.edu, call (812) 599-3287, or download a brochure at www.hanover.edu/athletics/summercamps for more information. You can also tell them Ashley M. sent you!

One comment Add yours