Welcome to Withrow

Before I knew it, my alarm was going off. It was already 10 a.m. on a Saturday; much earlier than I wanted to be awake. I had an hour to prepare myself for my day. I got up, showered, put on some fresh clothes, grabbed my guitar, and headed out the door.

I had to be at the newly refinished student activity center to play some music at its opening ceremony while all the fancy important people walked about and mingled. I got there right on time, and the sight of the new area was rather impressive. In my last post, I shared a picture of the area having been almost finished, but the complete version was even better than I had expected.

Close to, or possibly more than 100 people were here for this grand re-opening, but I didn’t feel too nervous about playing in front of everyone. After President DeWine and a few others spoke, it was time for me to plug in and play.

I got on stage and got ready to play, but as soon as I sang the first word — nothing happened. The mic was dead. I started finger-picking some background music while they worked on fixing the problem. The solution to the problem turned out to just be swapping one mic out for another.

Take two. This time things went off without any problems. My set list included a few original songs that some friends of mine wrote, Van Morrisson’s “Moondance,” a mashup of Train,  Journey and Jason Mraz, a cover of “Crazy,” and a handful of others.

The newly renovated student activity center, which we used to call SAC, will now be known as Withrow. It has a theater, several small lounges, a large open area, craft room, computer lab and a few conference rooms. I am looking forward to planning some events and hosting them there. Maybe something to get the new students together at the beginning of the year?

My roommates new friends. This isn't going to end well.
My roommate’s new friends. This isn’t going to end well.

For now, I have to figure out what to do with the surprise that my roommate just got for our room…two mice. Yikes.