Fun and work combined

The new Withrow Student Activities Center!

As the last day of school quickly approaches, it’s easy to get caught up in the question, “What are you doing this summer?” Some are searching for summer jobs at the last minute, and others are getting paperwork filled out for internships, but it’s important to focus some time on the present and enjoy life as it comes to you.

This past week presented some wonderful opportunities to do just that. Our campus grew just a little with the re-opening of the new and improved Ward & Jo Ann Withrow Student Activities Center. While I was not able to attend the grand opening, I have had some time to look around, and it looks like it’s going to be a very useful place to go on campus.

Stocked with a computer lab, some pool tables, a study area, and even a movie viewing area, this new space is not only functional but a place students will be able to come together to just hang out. I’ve even already had a meeting in the new space with my fellow Peer Advisors for next year.

A lecture hall turned movie theatre.
A lecture hall turned movie theatre.

Now, it’s also important to stay focused on the academic side of Hanover, which for some, can be difficult this short semester. Luckily, a lot of professors know this and gear their classes this semester to keep students’ attention and have a little fun themselves.

For instance, I’m currently taking the class Psychology and Science Fiction. Not only do I get credit for my major but I get to hop into one of campus’s lecture style classrooms and watch some good movies.

“Movies?” you ask. That’s right, it is a film-centered class, but that doesn’t mean it’s just like going to the Madison 6 Theatre or the Ohio Theatre. After we get done with a movie, we jump right into an in-depth discussion about the psychological aspects of humanity, what it means to be human and most importantly, what it means when that status is taken away.

In the past few weeks I’ve been involved in some deep and fairly heavy discussions about the nature of humanity and have even written a few papers. And the truth is, it’s felt like no work at all because of how the professor handles the material. It’s actually interesting and isn’t just a lot of lecture and note taking. The class is engaging, and it’s a really great learning opportunity.

This all being said, I’m definitely going to make the best of my last week as a Hanover freshman, and I already can’t wait to get back in the fall.