Castles and Stratford!

Our visit to Kenilworth happened to take place between two rain showers, allowing us beautiful blue skies for picture taking.

Need I say more? It has been my dream since I was a small girl to visit amazing castles. I read about them, drew pictures of them, studied them, and now? I have been to not one castle but three! Two of them I visited with my Shakespeare in England course — Warwick Castle and Kenilworth Castle — and was completely amazed.

They were two very different experiences as Warwick is still intact and very well preserved, while Kenilworth has been in ruins for centuries. Back in the days of yesteryear, the owner of Warwick attacked Kenilworth, breaching and destroying the castle.

Because of this, there was less time given to us to roam around Kenilworth. Warwick had events, food stands, ghost tours and several gift shop options. Kenilworth was brilliant in a quiet, haunting and magnificent way, though with much less hustle and bustle.

Both of these English castle experiences were exactly what I was looking forward to all this time. I have also now visited an Italian castle, but let me catch you up on our adventures in Stratford.

As Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare play, a photo next to this statue was a must for me!
As Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare play, a photo next to this statue was a must for me.

After two full weeks in Stratford, I believe I am well acquainted with the town that produced Shakespeare. It feels like just yesterday that we arrived, and after looking around saying, “oh, there will be plenty of time to go back and take pictures of that. …”

Unfortunately, two weeks went by in the blink of an eye, and after my exam on Thursday ,I could be seen frantically taking pictures all over the town.

Shakespeare statues, the river Avon, the Royal Shakespeare Theatre — I needed pictures of them all! But don’t you fret, I got them all and still had time to pack, get dressed up for the opening preview of “Titus Andronicus,” and enjoy a pot of Earl Grey tea with a chocolate tart at the Hathaway Tea Room. Yummy! I am definitely going to miss that tea, oh wait, I bought some to bring home.

Life in Stratford was simple: wake up by 8:30 a.m., eat a full English breakfast (bacon, eggs, toast, juice, cereal, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans AND sausage), go to class meetings, attend a workshop, browse the stores, eat dinner, catch a play and sleep.Then lather, rinse, repeat or just wake up and repeat.

Now I find myself trying to catch some zzz’s before the long jaunt from Italia to London. But first I must write a post or two more, as I am so behind and have so much to say. This attending Hanover thing has worked out well for me. Traveling to Europe for almost a month? Who wouldn’t say yes to that?