Getting down and derby

Spring Term is a blast, and I’m a little upset that I’m already halfway done with it. Around every corner something is happening during Spring Term.

The first week was Sigma Chi’s Derby Days, which is our annual competitive fundraiser. All four sororities on campus come over each day of the week, and we hold various competitions and raise money for philanthropy. In addition to the events, we also sell shirts, which make the majority of what we raise.

The first event was the tug of war. I was nervous, because as the Derby Days coordinator, the success or failure of the events would fall upon my shoulders. I sent out our “Derby Daddies” (They go out and hype up the sororities and bring them to our events), and they all came through for me.

All four sororities came out in full force, and the tug of war went over really well. Day two was the volleyball tournament, which went off without a hitch. Our Greek Adviser even came by to see the event.

On day three, we held a water balloon fight between the sororities. It took hours for us to fill them up, but within thirty minutes the girls burned through more than 1,000 water balloons, it was quite the wet mess. The balloons we bought were biodegradable, so luckily there was no need to pick up the shards.

Day four was Catch a Sig. For this event, our fastest runners grease up with vegetable oil, and we time the sororities to see who can catch them first. It usually takes a few minutes until the guys get tired and get caught, but one of the sororities sent out a rugby player who got him in under 30 seconds!

Our final event was the bike race on Friday. It was 100 laps around the mall behind our chapter house. It took a very long time, and the girls had to switch their racers every now and again to avoid fatigue, but overall it was a lot of fun. We ended up raising more than $1,000 for our charity, the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

This week I’m looking forward to the opening of the SAC, after it being closed all year for renovations. I’ll be playing music at the opening ceremony on Saturday, so it should be fun!

The Student Activity Center is nearing completion!