Behind the scenes

Many of the actors in this photo will be joining me on my Spring Term trip to England. I hope they are enjoying this process as much as I am!
Many of the actors in this photo will join me on my Spring Term trip to England. I hope they are enjoying this process as much as I am!

As part of my preparation to join my 2013 Shakespeare in England classmates across the pond, our professors recommended that we get to know the theater set-up a little bit. For most of us, that’s a done deal.

Being involved in previous theater productions both on campus and off, as well as taking courses on the subject, have gotten us ready to go. However, some of us (myself included) couldn’t act our way out of a paper bag. Hence, this is why we need to become more familiar with the process.

To make this happen, our instructors have made it possible for us to sit in on the first read through, a practice session and the final performance of Shakespeare’s “Troilus and Cressida.”

The final performance has yet to take place, but the change we have seen already between the first script reading and the practice is amazing. The actors are more familiar with their lines now, and they have really managed to bring the characters to life.

Jumping off chairs, throwing down objects, screaming, becoming filled with rage and love — yes, once the actors have completed memorizing their lines this play is sure to be very well done.

Just watching them practice combat scenes, kissing scenes and every other scene made me remember how much I enjoy watching plays, musicals, ballets and what have you. Movies are amazing, but there is something magical about being there, in the audience seeing these real people work together to make something unified and impressive. Oh, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it, and I can’t wait for the final performance this week!