The big dance

HCAC Champions!
HCAC Champions!

The Hanover women’s basketball team recently went to the NCAA Division III tournament after winning the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament. It was exciting to be a part of this and share these experiences with my teammates, coaches and family.

Transylvania, who beat the Hanover girls twice in the regular season, hosted the HCAC tournament. In the first round, we took out Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Friday and then beat Franklin College Saturday.

With these two wins we moved on to the Sunday afternoon championship game against Transylvania, who won the HCAC regular season title. We jumped out to an early lead and beat Transylvania 83-66 in the final game to win the HCAC championship tournament title.

As the final seconds ran off the clock, teammates were yelling, running at me, jumping on me, hugging me, and I was doing the same thing. It was such an exciting moment, and I’m glad I was able to share it.

Cutting the net after winning the conference title.

After receiving the trophy and taking pictures, we cut down the nets. It was my first net-cutting experience, and I loved every second of it.

After we won the HCAC tournament, we were rewarded with an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. We found out on Monday that we would play against Ohio Northern University.

The game took place at Hope College, in Holland, Mich., and it was a memorable experience, to say the least.  The arena we played in was huge. We stayed up in Michigan for three nights as we practiced and prepared for our game.

Facing Ohio Northern University in the first round of the NCAA tournament, "the big dance."
Facing Ohio Northern University in the first round of the NCAA tournament, “the big dance.”

When the first round of the NCAA tournament began, we battled Ohio Northern and were down six points at halftime but unfortunately fell in the end to ONU.

Although we were upset that the season was over and that this would be the last time we would play with the seniors, it was a fantastic season.

We were proud that we had made it to the NCAA tournament and exceeded the expectations of many. It was only the third time in Hanover women’s basketball history that a team made it to the NCAA tournament. It was a great experience and accomplishment, and I hope we get the opportunity to do it again!

One comment Add yours