Weddings, golf and puppies: the typical week of a Hanover student

What a nice looking pledge class.
What a nice looking pledge class.

I know the title says a typical week, but this week has been pretty crazy, so it’s hard to focus on just one single event.

It all started last Saturday. As a pledge of Sigma Chi, my Saturday was insanely busy starting with a two-hour drive to Butler University for Sigma Chi State Day. This was more or less a meeting of all the chapters in Indiana to do leadership workshops, have some fun and keep up with brothers from around the state.

Fore! Sometimes you just need a game of golf to relax the nerves.

As pledges, there wasn’t a lot for us to do, but we did get to have a really good conversation with fellow pledges and recently initiated brothers from around the state. This was followed by another two-hour drive to Cincinnati where our chapter had our annual formal. After meeting at the hotel we all boarded a boat, hung out, ate some dinner and spent some time floating down the Ohio River.

After that, my week progressed as usual. That is, until I was leaving dinner on Tuesday. Walking out of the Campus Center, I found myself smack dab in the middle of a wedding. That’s right, a wedding.

Love Out Loud, Hanover’s LGBT alliance, put on an informal wedding with three couples consisting of two men, a man and a woman, and two women, in honor of National Freedom to Marry Day. And it was actually a really nice ceremony with cake, toasts and even a few tears.

Then came Friday, and it’s been hectic to say the least. After I got out of class at 3 p.m., I immediately began playing a little known game called campus golf. Long thought to be a Sig thing, we’re actually hoping to expand it to the whole campus and Greek community.

Played much like golf but with tennis balls instead of golf balls (for obvious personal and property safety), the purpose of today’s game was to set up the course (complete with pars and tees) for a campus-wide golf tournament this coming March, put on by Sigma Chi and our philanthropy chair, Jordan Hall.

Yeah, we're cool people.
Yeah, we’re cool people.

Having to leave early from my game at 4 p.m., I then left with four other members of my pledge class and made my way to the Madison-Jefferson County Animal Shelter and helped out for an hour or so. The other half of our pledge classing having gone the hour before, we all helped out by walking dogs and playing with cats.

Sigma Chi Pledge Class Philanthropy!
Sigma Chi Pledge Class Philanthropy!

Afterward, I headed over to Parker Auditorium to see the most recent play, “God of Carnage,” and then headed down to see a wonderfully funny show put on by Hanover’s best and only improv comedy group, Evil Petting Zoo.

All in all it’s been a pretty hectic week but in the end, it’s the exciting weeks that are the best around campus. It just goes to show that even though we’re a small campus in the middle of the woods there’s still plenty to do, you just have to go out in search for it.

One comment Add yours