Playing with puppies and snowball fights

Oh, coo! Snow on the Quad!
Oh, cool — snow on The Quad!

To be honest, last week was pretty miserable. Indiana’s weather is bipolar to say the least. It has gone from the mid-60’s and sunny, to the 40’s and raining, to the 20’s and snowing, all in a matter of three days and it’s supposed to get back into the 60’s again this weekend.

It has been tempting to just isolate myself to my room to avoid the weird weather, not to mention, I have to carry around an umbrella everywhere just in case. But I’m a Hanover student and, like mailmen, we find a way to have fun rain, sleet or shine.

When it’s 60 degrees outside, it’s pretty easy to find a way to have fun. Go for a walk. Throw a Frisbee. Or like I did on Sunday, play with some puppies. As we were walking to dinner in the one and only Campus Center Dining Hall, a family was out walking their dogs on The Quad, and, of course, we had to stop to play with them.

Not seeing many puppies or any pets for that matter (other than the occasional goldfish), it was really cool to get to play with and pet them. Two were actually golden retrievers just like mine at home so it was kind of like getting to play with my own dog again.

Now, when it’s raining, it might seem like it’s a little more difficult to come up with things to do, but after you’re done with your schoolwork, there’s actually quite a bit. Watch a movie with your friends. Play some video games. Or, if you’re really adventurous, dance in the rain.

Since this campus is on a giant hill I’m surprised at how many puddles we get and how quickly our sidewalks can flood. Either way, they sure are fun to play around in if you’ve got some time and don’t mind getting a little wet.

The snow is when it gets really fun, though. Thursday night was the first serious snow of the year and campus went crazy. Facebook was lighting up with statuses about snowball fights. Since I was still awake working on homework last night at midnight, I decided to take a break head outside to The Quad where a massive snowball fight was taking place. While the snow wasn’t packing very well, it was still a blast just running around and rolling in the snow.

It’s really just important to make the best of the situation and find something fun to do no matter what. In college, it can be easy to get caught up in your work, but it’s important to acknowledge your inner child and have a little fun from time to time.