Word, words, words

Three books by John Green. Most notably, The Fault in our Stars, which hit #1 for the year on the New York Times Bestseller list. Also, I have a signed copy (nerd status).

School. I had forgotten what that treacherous six-letter word was all about: staying up too late, eating the same food nearly every day, and what’s that last part? Oh yeah, going to class and whatnot.

Don’t get me wrong! I like to learn. Heck, I even enjoy going to class. Just the whole tests, papers and the repetition of the lifestyle is enough to stress out even the coolest of the cool (which I am far from being. One look at this blog is all the evidence you should need to deduce that).

Anyhow, I am starting out on a depressing note and that is bad. And I don’t like bad. I am about to 180 this post, so hold on! Or just, you know, keep reading.

Let me start with something I sincerely believe. I believe any person can enjoy reading for pleasure and that it is only a matter of finding the right book. I keep finding it harder and harder to bring up a book without someone saying that they don’t like reading (or as my dad says, “I don’t know how.” Real wise guy there).  I think it boils down to some people having a more specific taste.

I, on the other hand, end a good book by turning the pages of a new one, so I find it difficult at times to recommend books to people (because I like almost all of them). However, my girlfriend, who is one of the most stubborn and acclaimed non-readers I know, has recently found interest in one of my favorite authors.

But wait! Now I have friends interested in said author. Then my mom read one of his books. He’s even from Indianapolis. And to top it off, his most recent novel was the number one novel of 2012 on the New York Times Bestseller List. Thus, I now feel confident in officially recommending John Green to all of you faithful readers.

Personally, I really enjoyed “Paper Towns” but a case could be made for any of his books. Don’t worry, even if you are adamant about not being a reader, John Green is still the guy for you. Mr. Green and his brother Hank Green post some of the most informative yet hilarious YouTube videos on their primary channel vlogbrothers. Here is one of my recent favorites from Hank.

Seriously though, with school starting back up, it’s almost too easy to get drawn into a constant anxiety-filled world. Reading has always helped me take a break from reality. And maybe if you aren’t a reader, John Green can convince you otherwise.