Christmas break on the road

My teammates and I at the Aquarium of the Pacific.

While many people were finishing up with their finals at the end of the fall semester, I was packing. Not for Christmas break and a trip home like many Hanover students, I was packing a suitcase for California!

The Hanover women’s basketball team takes a trip every two years over Christmas break, and this year, the team traveled to Los Angeles to play in a tournament. We competed against two California teams, the University of La Verne and the University of Redlands. We won the first game and while we fought hard in the second game, we still lost.

This was a great time for bonding with my teammates, playing some basketball and experiencing life in California for the first time. Although we were there to play basketball, our time in California consisted of more than just that. We went sightseeing in Los Angeles, Venice Beach and Hollywood.

I walked along the Hollywood Walk of Fame and saw Will Smith’s handprints and footprints along with his saying, “Change the World.” At the Aquarium of the Pacific, I had the opportunity to pet a jellyfish. I was stung by a jellyfish at a young age and have never fully recovered from my fears of them, so I guess this was kind of my way of overcoming it.

On the last night of our trip, we attended “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.” To our surprise, actress Katherine Heigl was the show’s guest. We were in California for a week, and I had a blast creating new memories.

Hollywood!
At Grauman’s Chinese Theatre with Will Smith.

After the trip, we were able to go home and spend some time with our families for the holidays. Then, it was back on the road again.

This time our destination was Montgomery, Alabama.  We were up against two teams in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament. We beat Centre College 80-77 in overtime and also had a win against Mississippi College. Basketball has been quite an experience so far. I’m enjoying every minute of it, and there is still more to come.

Our Hanover women’s basketball is now 10-3 overall and 4-2 in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference. We’ve now had four straight wins. We have two upcoming games this week as we take on Transylvania University and Earlham. I’m positive we can keep our winning streak going.

So, if you need a break from your first week of classes, come to Collier Arena on Saturday where the men’s and women’s teams will take on Earlham College. Men’s game begins at 1 p.m. and the women’s game starts at 3 p.m. The women’s team will also compete at home Jan. 16 at 7:30 against Anderson University.

One comment Add yours