The last first day

Macy's in downtown Chicago was just one place I visited during my trip north. Their window displays were amazing!
Macy’s in downtown Chicago was just one place I visited during my trip north. Their window displays were amazing!

Even as I typed that I had to hold my breath, could it really be here? The end of my Hanover College career is so incredibly close, where did the time go?

This morning, I woke up like I do every other morning of class, but then I realized that it was not just another day of class. It was the last time (Spring Term, now called May Term, is a completely different ballgame) I would walk into a classroom with a group of people, read over the syllabus, listen as professors I have had a billion times explain their expectations and then smile as they begin talking about all the exciting adventures we have before us. It was going to be a bittersweet day, then things got slightly interesting.

Twas the night before classes, when all over campus the lights began flickering
There was quite a lot of commotion, yes even from the R.A.s
And … you get the point.

We got back from our winter/Christmas break to a home that has power outlets struggling to work. My roommates and I were in the middle of a movie marathon when off went our lights, TV and Blu-ray player. Eventually, they came back on, but in a really bizarre manner.

Only some of our outlets worked, and even then, some of them were not at 100 percent. We wrapped up our movies and hopped into our beds hoping that morning would bring restored power.

Oh, how wrong we were. I woke up at 8 a.m., even though I don’t have class until 11 a.m., so that I could look presentable on my last first day. Unfortunately, the Hanover gods were not smiling down on us, and after my shower I was not able to blow dry or straighten my hair.

For most people, this is not a big deal, but when you have a ridiculous amount of curly hair that has to be tamed in one way or another, it is a real ordeal. Thank goodness my hair decided to sort of work with me so I didn’t look like a fruitcake in front of my professors today!

After I got out of the shower, the power was shut off completely for a few hours so that it could be fixed. The internet was also down for roughly 12 hours because of the power issues, which probably made a few students late to class if they forgot to look up their classrooms!

Now that order has been restored to Hanover it is time to get down to work! Next time? A recap of my break, complete with highlights of my new birthday presents, lots of snow and a trip to a very blustery Chicago!