My, how time flies

With finals week upon us, students at Hanover are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel — holiday break. I have some friends who have four finals this week, with as many as two exams in one day! I, for one, am not complaining; I have one final exam! (Lauren, you wonder, how did you get so lucky??)

Time really does fly!

Well, most of my classes had exams and cumulative research papers, projects and presentations that fell around Dead Week. That means my finals week is pretty light. Score!

Since I only needed to study for one exam over the last few days, I have taken advantage of the free time to help prepare for next semester and beyond! Here is a list of what I suggest college students do over break to start the New Year right:

1) Look for something to do over the summer. Whether it is finding a job or internship, it is important to start the search early! First, I recommend talking to Hanover College’s Director of Experiential Learning, David Harden, about possible summer internship opportunities. He will set you up with alumni in your area of interest so you can make connections and network.

In addition, I also recommend searching for internships on your own. Talk to family and friends, research company websites and apply for summer internships and coops. There are so many wonderful real-world opportunities for college students, it is our job to be proactive and seek them out!

2) Get organized! I know it seems kind of early to look at your courses for next semester, but it is important to determine what supplies you will need. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am alluding to every college student’s favorite pastime —ordering text books. The Hanover College Bookstore conveniently allows students to look up the books they will need for each class; another purchasing alternative is amazon.com.

3) Recharge! I believe that this is the most important thing for students to do over holiday break. College is emotionally, physically and mentally exhausting. Students desperately crave vacations to rest, relax and recharge for the new semester. There is just something about sleeping in your own bed, munching on home cooking, and spending time with family and friends that is good for the mind, body and soul.

Fall 2012 has flown by! I am so happy that I have been able to blog about my experiences this past semester. When I look back on the things I have written about, I am amazed about how much I have learned and how many wonderful things I have experienced. The possibilities that the New Year and semester hold are incredibly exciting. I cannot wait to continue to share my life with you! Happy holidays, everyone!