An atypical Thanksgiving break

Just one of the many scenes I took in at a local Christmas light show!

Usually my Thanksgiving break acts as my lifesaver. I am up to my neck in papers, projects, reading assignments — you name it — they’re all there demanding my attention.

This year, I still had a lot to do but I just wasn’t ready for a break. I didn’t really have a burning desire to go home, so while everyone else left campus Tuesday after their classes ended, I didn’t leave until late morning on Wednesday.

Once I got home, I didn’t stay there very long. I found myself running errands for my sister and parents and was on the go until Thursday afternoon. I even made a trek through a Christmas light display at a local park Wednesday evening — who can resist getting into the Christmas spirit the day before Thanksgiving? Not me, that’s for sure!

Usually my family all has Thanksgiving dinner together, but my mom had to work this year, and everyone else in my family made plans. So I made plans, too.

I decided to spend my evening with my best friend and her family. It was a fantastic experience. There was so much good food, everyone was in a cheerful mood, and there were small children running all around — the perfect holiday atmosphere. Once we were all stuffed from the amazing food, we got down to business planning our Black Friday schedule.

We determined we definitely needed to be at Walmart from 8-10 p.m. in order to score some amazing deals on new things for our suite. On our list? A new television, a Blu-ray player, a streaming box, and lots and lots of movies. We also decided to go to Old Navy to get some Christmas gifts and some new clothes for ourselves.

Luckily, we dominated at Walmart getting everything on our list plus some. We decided to take our high energy selves onto Old Navy. Here we still had lots of energy, but I don’t think we expected to wait in line for two hours to pay for our items.

Finally, climbing into bed a little before 5 a.m. Friday, I determined that while this wasn’t exactly what I thought my Thanksgiving would be like, I am so very thankful to have so many good friends to spend my time with!