The beautiful aroma of laundry detergent

Laundry. Let’s be honest, a lot of high school students do not do their own laundry. High schoolers have the luxury of parents doing it for them even with their parents busy schedules. Maybe it’s because I’m a guy, but when I was in high school I certainly didn’t do my laundry and didn’t want to learn how to do it.

I still remember the summer before my freshman year when my mom would constantly tell me I had to learn to do laundry. I figured it would be easy. Throw some clothes in the washer, and then put them in the dryer. Obviously, things didn’t go as well as I planned with my first time.

But that was then, and this is now. Thankfully, I have learned how to properly wash and dry my clothes (sort of), but still look forward to breaks because my mom is loving enough to do it for me.

For those of you who do not know how to do laundry, I’m going to give you a few tips with the washing machines at Hanover! (Warning: Results may vary. I am not a laundry pro. Here is a link to a laundry tip website!: Laundry Link)

The wonderful laundry room in which I spend countless hours making my clothes smell fresh!

Laundry isn’t that hard once you get the hang of it. Generally, I sort my clothes into piles. One pile of white clothes, a pile of black clothes, a pile of shirts/pants I don’t want to shrink (different colored shirts), a pile for jeans, and a pile for towels, sheets, etc. Each pile should go in a washing machine, pour a small bit of laundry detergent into the machine, and press the respective buttons.

The pile of whites is simple. I put them all together, throw them in a machine,  and put it on the whites setting, which uses hot water. I have a couple Nike shirts that are white so I keep those OUT of the white pile because I don’t want them to shrink.

The white pile usually just has socks and undershirts. After they’re washed, I put them in the dryer using the colors setting and let them spin for about 30 minutes.

The pile of blacks is simple also. It’s usually socks, shorts or undershirts, but I press colors, which uses warm water. The same thing as the whites, the black clothes are put in the dryer at colors for about a half hour.

The pile of shirts/pants I don’t want to shrink are the most difficult. Basically, these are graphic tees, Abercrombie, Hollister, flannels or nicer shirts that I don’t wear on a regular basis. These shirts need to be washed on the bright colors setting.

Even though there is a delicate setting on the machine, the water is warm and shrank one batch of my clothes from freshman year. Ever since then, I’ve been washing with bright colors because of the cold water.

After they’re washed, I rarely put my clothes in the dryer. Occasionally, I put my clothes in the dryer on delicate, but normally I let my clothes hang dry in my room in order to not risk shrinking.

Jeans and towels are both pretty simple compared to the possible shrinking clothes. Both of these can be washed and dried on permanent press with the washer and dryer. The only issue is if the blanket/towel is a softer material, then it may be best to wash on the delicate or bright colors setting, just to be safe. Drying shouldn’t be an issue.

And there you have it. The super basic guide to washing and drying your clothes. Obviously, everyone uses different methods, but I am incredibly lazy, and this method has worked for me so far. Thanks for reading, and hopefully this helps!