Happy Homecoming!

Benjamin Templeton Scholars at the Academics tent during Homecoming tailgate.

Halloween is the one night a year where it isn’t odd to see Dr. Who dancing with superheroes, a bunch of grapes munching on cookies or Mary Poppins chatting with Zeus.

This past Saturday night, Oct. 27, President Sue DeWine hosted her annual Halloween party at her home. White lights and lanterns hung from the trees and lined the path to the president’s residence. Students dressed in wacky costumes danced to the live band and relaxed in her living room.

The main event, however, was the costume contest! The title of “best dressed” is highly coveted by Hanover students — and there was some stiff competition.

Sorry, I am getting ahead of myself. Saturday was jam-packed with Homecoming activities. I began my morning with a lovely brunch at the Chi Omega house where I met returning alumna and their families.

Then, I headed out to the tailgate area outside the football field to work the academic scholarship tent. I am a Benjamin Templeton Scholar (BTS) here at Hanover College. The BTS program is a full-tuition scholarship based on the principles of diversity, social justice and tolerance.

I couldn’t wait to talk to alumni about my experiences as a Templeton Scholar and the opportunities I have gained by being part of the program. I, as well as members from the 2016 Benjamin Templeton class, mingled with visitors and sipped hot cocoa.

Also during the tailgate, I was chosen to compete in an academic quiz bowl. This fun competition pinned students against students to answer questions about philosophy, history, science and art.

Do you know which United States president said, “If you can’t stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen?” I’ll give you a hint; his initials are H.S.T. The team I was part of, “The Quiz Bowl Dominators,” won the contest! I had bragging rights the rest of the day, haha.

After the quiz bowl, I went to work the Student Activities Center Committee tent, where a student-alumni ping pong tournament ensued. So much fun!

I loved attending the football game. The Panthers crushed Earlham 55-10! The crowd, a sea of red and blue, cheered wildly, so excited by the Homecoming victory!

Later in the evening, I attended Hanover’s Step Show! Our step team, The New Vision Step Team, hosted fraternities and sororities from other schools to compete in a step show dance-off. The groups were so talented, passionate and energetic; they upheld and exclaimed the values of Greek organizations through their dances.

It was such a unique and special event. I am really happy I was able to experience it.