Living the Island Life!

50s night at the diner

Summer is ending, and I would have to say it has been one of the most interesting and rewarding summers I have had. I worked as an intern at Vagabond Cruise in Hilton Head Island, S.C. This was the place that I called home for the past three months, and it’s sad to think that it’s finally over.

I met people who I will never forget and did things I never thought I would. When I first decided to apply at Vagabond I was a nervous wreck! My résumé wasn’t that impressive, and I was only a 19-year-old sophomore with my only work experience being club involvement and retail. But thankfully, after my interview in November 2011, I was asked be a part of the Vagabond Cruise Crew.

Moving to this new place, I didn’t know really what to expect. It was like the real world on MTV almost, just with more strangers. They placed us in Hilton Head Resort with roommates we didn’t know from all over the country.

The girls I lived with were from Illinois, Ohio, North Carolina, Texas, Indiana, and that’s only naming a few. My first day of work I showed up at the office at noon, met my youthful looking manager who later became known as “Manchild” (because he was 26 years old with the face of high school teen).

We talked a little bit about my schedule for the week, and then I was sent on my first dolphin cruise. The dolphin cruise is one of the nine cruises Vagabond has to offer. Interns were sent on all nine cruises so that we could share our personal experience with customers when trying to market them. This experience allowed me to go on my first cruise to Savannah, Ga., and Daufuskie Island, S.C. I also went on my first dinner cruise and had my first sailing experience on the Stars and Stripes that raced in the 1987 America’s Cup.

Picture of the sound from the ticket box

I am not going to say all summer was glamorous because it wasn’t. There were some times when I made several mistakes, booked a large party on the wrong cruise and dealt with my share of difficult customers. Outside of work, the interns spent so much time together, we even adopted the open door policy for some rooms.

We had sleepovers, pranked each other, argued, had dance parties and went out together; it was a blast. The way I describe my summer in just a few words is that it was an experience I would never take back and one that I would never repeat. It was just one of those summers. I think one of my fellow interns said it best via Twitter “A life without love is like a summer without Hilton Head Island 2012.”

If you are interested in an internship on Hilton Head Island visit: http://resortinternconnection.com/ and feel free to ask me any questions.