Procrastination

One of those nights I'm not too happy about my procrastination

It’s 5 o’clock in the morning,” (literally, and I’m just finishing up two assignments: a presentation and a research proposal).

Wikipedia (which I am not using for my research proposal because that would be all bad) says that procrastination refers to the act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of lower priority or doing something from which one derives enjoyment, thus putting off important tasks to a later time. We as students have generally been taught since day one not to procrastinate whether it be from a children’s book or fable.

I would have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with this. I’m here to tell you that I may just be the world’s biggest culprit!

When I began here at Hanover College my senioritis  had not yet been cured after high school. I’m sad to say that in  fact, it carried over into my every day habits here. I’m sure you can only imagine that this mind set got me into a whole lot of trouble at the start! I encourage everyone to take that attitude and put it in a pocket to a pair of jeans you’ll never wear.

However,  I will say that procrastination has helped me in some cases. Most people have the common idea that procrastination is bad for you. I like to think otherwise, depending on your personality.

I learned through my college experience that I simply think better under pressure. Have I tried to write a paper weeks, days, and weekends in advance; sure! It never works out for me though and I can never seem to get my thoughts together.

Once I tried writing a paper early and I happened to finish it. I wasn’t satisfied with the grade that I received so I wrote the next paper at the last minute and what do you know, I got a better grade on my rushed paper.  Having a little fire under my seat helps me but it is not for everyone, it is not for every assignment, and it varies depending on how you deal with pressure and how organized you are as an individual.

I would also like to point out the fact that I’m a night person. I get a little bit of a rush being up late by myself and I always have. Of course again, this may or may not work for you.  Just keep in mind: “It’s a job that’s never started that takes the longest to finish.” – J. R. R. Tolkien