Adventures in Dogsitting

One of my roommates enjoying some bonding time with the pups!

As one of the many jobs I hold in the Hanover/Madison, Ind. area, one of my favorites is dogsitting for a family in Madison. Not only does it allow me to get off campus and get some space in a house with a large living room and lots of personal space, it also gives me a chance to get some animal time.

I love animals especially cats and dogs so much, and living on a college campus, my opportunities for animal interactions are limited. That’s why when several months ago the Career Center posted a dogsittingĀ job on their website, I jumped at the chance.

This past weekend, I made my way into Madison and set up camp with the three dogs that I watch. They are always so playful and fun, with lots of hair and big brown eyes. My job here barely feels like work, more like playtime.

There are so many opportunities to make money on campus, either to help pay tuition or to use as spending money. It seems like everyday on Hanover’s intranet, new scholarship information or job postings are being added.

All of my jobs go toward spending money, which is sometimes transferred over into the category of school tuition. Not that you need a lot of money on campus. Basically, my income goes in my bank account, toward gas for trips home or for snack food/necessities from Walmart.

Dogsitting may not be a six-figure job, but it’s the small things in life that mean the most to me. Having all the extra living space and the comforts of home (a kitchen with an oven!) is priceless. I took advantage of having a kitchen this weekend and made pigs-in-a-blanket and veggie pizza. Both were delicious and really hit the comfort food spot. Sometimes a taste of home can make all the difference in how your week will go.

Leaving the pups is always a little hard, they are just so cute! But by setting up the next date for me to dogsit, I know that I can look forward to seeing them again soon.

Colorful and healthy veggie pizza!