Dead Week

If I survive this week, I might start thinking that I can run through a brick wall!

The week before final exams is always a stressful one. This is the time in which projects, essays and major presentations are usually due. Everyone around campus is usually studying really hard and is sleep deprived, stressed and overwhelmed at this point. (People call it “Dead Week” for a reason!)

One thing to remember during this week is to pace yourself.  Thinking that you can muscle through everything all at once is not the best attitude to have and may even hurt you in the end. I recommend that you set out your assignments and take the time to think about how much time you want to spend on each assignment at a time.

Don’t spend a minute less or a second more than what you have planned. This will keep you calm and give you a sense of progress, not to mention much needed organization. A lot of assignments require large amounts of concentration. I like to save those assignments for last and start with the homework that is less difficult. There are only so many hours in a day and if you don’t already know, you’ll find that the way you spend your time and time itself is precious.

I also think it is important to take a few breaks here and there. Studying is more effective if you don’t overwork your brain. Studying in 20-minute intervals, with short five-minute breaks, is a great way to stay on top of it. Cramming information for long periods of time isn’t good in terms of retaining what you’ll need to know for final exams.