A Letter Goodbye

Dear Philadelphia,

Cecilia Weihe and I in front of our wall of Philadelphia experiences.

As our time together is about to end, I want you to know that I will miss you deeply. Over the past three months you have provided me with adventure, opportunities and new experiences. I cannot even begin to express my appreciation and gratitude that I have as I have fallen in love with you.

I am forever grateful for the people you have put into my life this past semester. Not only have I had to the opportunity to strengthen friendships with people that I already knew before arriving here, I also have had the opportunity to create new friendships that will last far beyond my time spent in the city.

I have also been extremely blessed by the staff at the Philadelphia Center and my colleagues at my internship. All of these individuals were dedicated to making this experience as good as it could be for me. I would have to say that they successfully accomplished their mission.

Through my time spent you, you have continually introduced me to new things — all of which will be forever in my memory. My first time seeing City Hall, going to LOVE Park, visiting the Liberty Bell, ice skating at Penn’s Landing, looking at the city skyline at night from my roof deck and eating a Philly Cheese Steak will never be forgotten. Beyond this, I have fallen in love with thrift stores, art and photography.  This is all thanks to you.

A Banner displayed in front of City Hall that is part of the "With Love Philadelphia" Campaign in order to increase tourism in the city. (Photo by G. Widman)

Most importantly, Philadelphia, you allowed me to discover my direction in life. Over the past three months I have been able to discover the things I am good at, the things I enjoy doing and the things I want to pursue in the future.

My time spent here has given me confidence, and you have allowed me to see that I am competent and capable and can accomplish anything I set my mind to.

As I prepare to leave in a few short days, I realize that it will be a bittersweet moment to say goodbye to the city I have come to love, but I will be returning to my friends and family that I have missed so much over the past three months. Don’t worry Philadelphia, I am sure I will be back someday!

With Love, Sara xoxo

P.S. Please make sure I don’t cry too much on my last day, and begin to prepare Indiana for my arrival!