Make Today Count

So much to do and so little time to do it in — is a constant struggle that every student at Hanover faces at one time or another. Now that Dead Week is in full swing on campus, and finals are just around the corner, I am sure that the majority of the students are having this problem right now. Trust me when I say that this is a problem everywhere as I am facing the same trouble all the way in Philadelphia.

Last week I found myself selfishly wishing away days as I would say, “I can’t wait for Monday because I will be done with this paper,” and “I wish that Thursday would get here so my Portfolio would be done.” It wasn’t until one of my professors said, “As your days in Philadelphia are coming to an end, I challenge you to not count your days, but to make your days count,” to my class that I realized that I need to stop wishing and worrying and enjoy the moment that I am in. Since then, I have tried to take advantage of every moment and make my last days in the city mean the most.

People gather around the Christmas tree at Rittenhouse Square for the Christmas Tree Lighting this past week. (Photo by J. Smith for GPTMC)

This past week, I have been able to take full advantage of Christmas in Philadelphia, Pa. With Christmas lights and wreaths lining the streets, and carolers make their way around the City, it is definitely “Christmas time in the city.” Monday night I went to the Macy’s Christmas Light Show that takes place every day on the top of every hour.

I was also able to go to the Christmas Tree Lighting festivities in Rittenhouse Square and do a little Christmas shopping in Northern Liberties this week. But don’t worry, I have also been working on final papers, presentations, portfolio’s and my last days at my internship all at the same time. Even though my days have been busy, I have been trying my best to get the most out of every day!

Trying to fit all of the last minute fun and excitement in and trying to get all of my school work done at the same time has taught me this: when it comes down to it, the choice is yours — you can either count the days or make the days count. I am going to make the days count, and hope that they even slow down just a little so I can enjoy them for a little longer here in Philadelphia!  I challenge you to do the same.