A Little Magic in Philadelphia

Me looking through one of the outside walls of Magic Gardens when visiting with my parents a few weekends ago.

Everyday as I walk to my internship, I walk right past an amazing and magical place that is just a few blocks from my apartment. A few weekends ago when my parents came to visit, I was able to take them to this place, which my dad later said that it was his favorite thing that he saw while in Philadelphia, Pa.

It was my first time here as well, and the beauty fascinated me in a way that is indescribable. I was excited when I found out that I would make another trip to this place for my internship. Not only that, I would be able to meet the mastermind behind everything that this place has become, an opportunity many do not ever have. What is this place? Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens.

Philadelphia Magic Gardens is a non-profit gallery space constructed completely out of mosaic art that completely takes over both the inside and outside of the building. The mosaic art becomes so alive since it consists of items found throughout the community, such as bicycle wheels, glass, bowls, bottles and tiles, constructed in a way that holds personal meaning to the artist and the visitors. The Magic Gardens has helped transform the neighborhood by helping to beautify the area.

A small section of the outside portion of the Gardens

Meeting Isaiah Zagar, the artist that created this place all by himself, was such a great experience. This man has such a creative mind and big heart. Hearing about the hard work and devotion he has put into the creation of the Magic Gardens was a true inspiration. With the help of his amazing workers, the Magic Gardens has grown into a popular and respected place in Philadelphia.

My experience at Magic Gardens allowed me to understand that being in Philadelphia has exposed me to more art than I have experienced in my life time and has allowed me to take on a whole new appreciation. The Magic Gardens is art that is located in the heart of the city and truly contributes to the beauty of Philadelphia.

P.S. The pictures don’t even come close to doing this place justice. This is definitely a place that you need to experience for yourself! It has even been named one of the top ten places to have a wedding!