Conquering D.C.

Minsi Fan, Cecilia Weihe and I, all Hanover students, sit in front of the Capitol Building during our recent visit to Washington, D.C.

Beyond being able to experience Philadelphia, Pa., because of the great transportation system that they have, I am also able to visit other cities as well. The city’s MegaBus offers several trips to different cities on a regular basis, costing anywhere from $1 to $15. Either way, what a great deal!

Over the next six weeks, I will take one or two day trips to Washington D.C., New York City, and Boston, Mass.

This past weekend, I completed my first trip to Washington, D.C., with two other Hanover College students. Our day began bright and early (so early, it wasn’t even bright outside) at 4:00 a.m. when we woke up in order to catch a three-hour bus ride that left at 5:30 a.m.

If you are ever in Washington D.C., the White House is a must see, so this is where we headed first. We followed it with stops at the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, WWII Memorial and Korean War Memorial.

We also went to several Smithsonian museums (they are all free!) and made sure to see the Capitol Building. All of these sites play such an important role in the history of our country, and it was neat to see them in person.

Beyond the historical sites and typical sightseeing stops, we made a little detour to the Georgetown area of D.C. In Georgetown, there is a famous cupcake shop named Georgetown Cupcakes featured on the TV channel TLC.

We were able to see the show’s crew shoot an upcoming episode and event waited in line for 20 minutes for our own cupcakes. Considering how long the lines usually are, this was not a long wait at all. Mmmmm. They were delicious and worth the wait!

Despite the lack of sleep from waking up so early and going to bed so late the night before (I was running off of two and a half hours of sleep the whole day), I was able to have an exciting and adventurous time in Washington D.C.

After successfully conquering my first of three trips, I can’t wait for the other two! When else am I going to have the chance to visit so many cities in such a short amount of time time? Probably never, which is why I am making sure to enjoy it now!