Balancing College, Life and Sports

For most people, transferring from high school to college is not an easy transition. In fact, it is one of the toughest situations I have ever faced. Trying to manage enough time to go to class, do homework, play football and be with your friends is very challenging.

During high school I was the big shot. I had a 3.2 G.P.A., was class president, served on the Superintendent and Principal’s advisory board, CHOICE program, etc.

Also, I was the big guy on the football team, four-year starter, very cool guy; it seemed like everybody knew my name.

Since coming on this campus, I have had to learn to balance school and football all over again. I have five classes, four on Monday, one on Tuesday, and three on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. There’s also the 15-plus hours I have to put in for football with practice, lifting weights and games. Along with class and football, I’m involved with Kaleidoscope and my Hall Council.

So, where do I find the time to study? Thankfully at Hanover the tutors are free! If I need help with any class I can go to the top of the Campus Center and find a tutor up to 11:00 p.m. from Sunday-Thursday.

I’m also a part of this program called T.E.A.M (Together Everyone Achieves More). This program places me with a mentor whom I have to meet with for four to six hours a week. The tutor is there to help me do my homework, study and gives me tips about writing papers.

Along with my rigorous schedule, I have found time to have a personal life as well. I have fixed it to have Saturdays completely off (other than playing football), and homework has to be done by 8:00 p.m. Gives me plenty of time to chill and relax.

So my transition thus far, has not been as dramatic as I had thought it would be. I have stayed on top of my studies and football, and have found myself taking that walk to the free tutors a couple times. Trust me, it’s not a bad thing. I believe you will be there a couple of times throughout your college career, too.