A Little Lesson in Time Management

Time is valuable. This is something that I have been told time and time again throughout my life, but is something that I did not truly understand until my freshman year at Hanover. Two years later, I find the things I learned about time management during my first semester at Hanover valuable as I spend my time in Philadelphia, Pa.

Having been at my internship for a week and a half, it has become apparent that even though the days go fast, there is still so much that needs to be done. While I am here, I am juggling a 32-hour per week internship, the course work for two classes, time to explore the city and everyday tasks, such as cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, cleaning and paying the bills. It seems as if I have more hours of work than there are hours in a day, or in a week. This is a problem, which is why it is important to use time management.

Whether you are in Hanover, Ind., Philadelphia or anywhere else in the world, here are some of my tips that may be useful when trying to manage your time:

Make lists and set goals: Make a to do list that includes everything you need to accomplish over a certain amount of time, whether it’s in a day, a week or a month. Within this list, determine when you will have certain tasks completed. This will allow you to actually see what needs to be done and by when.

Get rid of distractions: Turn the TV off, stop listening to music, get away from your friends and, most importantly, get off Facebook. Whatever your biggest distraction is that keeps you from getting things done, get rid of it. By eliminating your distractions, you will be able to stay focused and get things down faster.

Stop procrastinating: This is something that’s easy to say, but not so easily done. Don’t put things off until the last minute. If you plan ahead, and even work ahead, you will have more of the time time you’ll need when something comes up at the last minute.

Be realistic: Let’s be real. If you wait to write a 10-page paper an hour before it is due, it most likely won’t get done. Or, if you try to complete ten tasks in 30 minutes, you may just set yourself up for failure. Evaluate how long it will take you to accomplish each task and make sure to set aside the necessary time.

Why is this important?  Whether you are a student, a graduate or anyone else out there, time management is always going to be important. We all live a busy life and have a lot of things that need to be accomplished. This will never change. The only way to make it better is use time management skills.

There are approximately 24 hours in a day, 168 hours in a week, and 8,765 hours in a week. Use them wisely.