Babysitting, books, and busy, busy, busy.

Over Christmas break, my cousin asked me if I could watch her children for a couple days before and after Christmas.  You know, those transitions days for parents when the kids are off of school, but getting off of work becomes a bit difficult.  I’m the baby of the family, and I had always been the one being sat on (literally and figuratively) by my older sisters, not the one doing the sitting.  I agreed, reasoning with myself that if I want children in the future, I have to start somewhere.  So, when Christmas break was a success, my cousin asked if I could watch them for the summer.  Monday through Friday, 7:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Ohhhhh boy……

So here we are.  Me, Zachary and Brendan.  The three amigos.  Despite the fact that they’re both only 6, (twins!) I feel like we can really connect on multiple levels.  They like slip n’ slides, and so do I.  They prefer grape jelly on their PB&Js, and so do I.  And don’t even get me started on those great Nickelodeon morning shows…

Usually they keep me pretty busy playing games and such, and like to refer to me as their “favoritest cousin,” even though the relationship between us is kind of fuzzy.  Am I second cousin?  Are they my cousins once removed?  Or should I just go with Aunt Jessica, as their Dad, Pete, refers to me?  No matter the relationship, they’ve become a bit more than just my cousins kids or the kids I watch; they’ve become my mini-friends.

Brendan (left) and Zach (right) with their swims suits. On their heads.

Even though it seems like all play and no work, the life of a six-year-old isn’t all fun and games.  These little guys work harder than any about-to-be first graders that I’ve ever seen!  They’re part of the Oldham County Piranhas swim team.  They’ve had two meets so far this summer, one of which I proudly attended, and judging from the collective 10 first place ribbons, three second place ribbons, and one third place ribbon, these guys are pretty serious about their sport.  It’s so cute to watch them in their little long-john Speedo get-ups and goggles.  In a couple years, Speedos won’t be so cute.

Okay so, I know all of you recieved a book to read over the summer, as did I last summer.  I’m not sure what your book is, but the book for last summer was ‘Persepolis,’ a true account of Marjane Satrapi’s experience in Iran during the revolution.  It may sound bland when simply stated like that, but it was actually very, VERY interesting as well as informative.  And I’ll admit, I had read the whole book by the time July rolled around.  So clearly, when it came time to discuss the book during August experience, I was prepared.
Oh, you didn’t know there was going to be a discussion about it?  Well, let me fill you in on a little secret.  You’ll probably have to write a paper about it, too.  That’s probably proof that’s it’s to your GREAT ADVANTAGE to read the book.  And from what I’ve heard, each year the books are interesting and not very hard to get through, so don’t dread the whole process.  Even Brendan and Zach have been reading this summer with their busy schedules, so no excuses!  You don’t want to be shown up by a couple of six-year-olds, do you?
Brendan and Zach keep running upstairs asking me what time the pizza’s going to get here.  They have their friend Luke over for a playdate today, so don’t think pizza is the usually lunch of choice.  I would hate to be regarded as a babysitter who never fixes wholesome PB&J and ham and ketchup sandwiches, Brendan and Zach’s favorites, respectively.
Anyway, I should probably wrap it up before all hell breaks loose and someone swallows a LEGO.
Until next time, find a nice, hot spot by the pool, pick up your summer reading book, and don’t forget…..

A note that Brendan made for me and taped to my purse so I wouldn't forget my bathing suit for the slip n' slide.
2 comments Add yours