Undecided major? Sounds perfect!

This summer has already been super busy for me!  I have been up and out of my house before 7:00 a.m. every day this summer (this is way too early for a college student anytime let alone the summer!)  I have been babysitting for 8-10 hours a day for two girls who are 6 and 8 years old.

They are awesome and I love kids but they definitely keep me busy!  We’ve played in the pool, at parks and lots of games like house, school, store and any other creative idea they come up with.

Today, I came home with sunburn, chlorine smelling hair, lime green fingernails, and somewhere near eight recently colored pictures.  While this might sound like less than the perfect way to spend a summer to most, it is right up my alley.  I am an elementary education major and have learned a lot about how to work with children through this program.

However, this was not always the case.  I came to Hanover because they have an amazing science department.  I was determined to be a pre-med student and find the cure to cancer one day.  Being a teacher was just a childhood dream I had and I could do “better” than that.  I decided to be a doctor in high school after having an awesome anatomy teacher.

My first semester at Hanover went really well.  I earned a good GPA, developed decent study habits and enjoyed working with the professors in the science departments.  However, I just found myself uninterested.  Doing homework and studying the material needed for pre-med stopped being interesting and started becoming a chore (and my biology grade reflected this).

I decided to revisit that childhood dream and take an education class second semester.  I took a .25 credit education class while continuing pre-med and absolutely loved it! I had no doubt that I wanted to be a teacher!

I came into Hanover wondering how someone could be undecided about what they wanted to do.  I have always been a planner and thought it was necessary to be ahead of schedule.  I mean, you only have four years!  I found out that this was not true.  Really, your first semesters at Hanover are supposed to help you figure out what you are interested in and what you might consider choosing as a major.

When I decided to switch to education, I thought that my advisor and other  science professors would be upset with me.  I actually got the opposite response.  My advisor was so happy for me and told me he thought that teaching would be a perfect fit.   He still asks me all of the time how things are going.  It was such a relief to know that my professors were there for me and to know that they had my well being in mind and not the amount of advisees they had or the amount of students they sent to medical school.

So, for any of you who have no clue what you want to do when you grow up, good for you! You’ve got all the time in the world.  Come to Hanover, enjoy the classes you take, find what you are interested in, and then dedicate yourself to a major.  This is the way it is supposed to be done and you will find what’s best for you.  Good luck!