Since so many of you ask questions about it, Nathan Hickman ’12 and I made a video of all the relevant specs you need to keep in mind when getting a new computer for college.
A couple of notes in addition to what Nathan said:
- Really, Mac vs. PC is so 2007. Use what you’re most comfortable with; it won’t make any difference in terms of your Hanover-related computer usage.
- We offer Sophos anti-virus protection free for all our students; you’ll have to download this before you’re able to connect to the secure campus network.
- Our Wi-Fi network covers every conceivable place you’ll need to use your computer on campus, and most of the (as Vizzini would say) inconceivable spots as well. Just make sure your laptop has an IEEE802.11 WLAN adapter.
- If you don’t want to spring for Microsoft Office Suite (even in our bookstore where it only costs $79.95), then OpenOffice.org is a legitimate and free alternative.
- You’ll also want to think about bringing a USB Flash Drive, especially if you plan to use the campus print system (everybody does).
Hopefully this is some good stuff. If any of you have other suggestions, write a comment below and share it with everybody.