The Beauty of Liberal Arts…

The typical Hanover student takes four classes for a total of four credits. We don’t do it by credit hours like most other colleges/universities. A student can actually take up to 4.75 credits without being dubbed an overloader and having to pay extra fees. That’s s four regular classes, a Health and Fitness course (.5 hours) and an applied fitness class (.25 hours).

I enjoy being able to choose my own schedule and decide when I want to wake up and how late I want my classes to go. However, it sometimes feels as if I am neglecting to take my Liberal Arts Degree Requirements (LADR’s) and taking other courses (LADR’s can be found here) instead. I think it is somewhat necessary to take other courses, too, because then you can discover what interests you most and potentially explore things you would have never had the opportunity to do before.

Philosophy in Nature is one course that I take MTWF from 9:00-10:00 a.m. This course satisfies the Examined Life requirement for the LADR’s and is an introduction to Environmental Ethics. So far, the class has been interesting, but the reading is VERY tedious.

Next, The American Hero, a history course, meets MWF from 12:00-12:50 p.m. I’m not exactly sure why I am taking this class other than I just want to. I am considering designing my own major of American Studies and this class would definitely count for that.

Third, the second part of the Modern Africa sequence is MWF from 2:00-2:50 p.m. I’m kind of excited about this one. Africa is a place that I am very passionate about and look forward to spending some time there in the near future.

Finally, Drawing I, MWF from 4:00-5:50 p.m. I am extremely nervous about this one. I would consider myself to be an artist in some respects, but drawing is something I have never really toyed with. There’s also the fact that this class goes till 6:00 p.m., which is kind of a drag, but hey … I can deal.

3 comments Add yours
  1. Hey how’s it going Sam, I want the opportunity to go to Africa and I really hope I get the chance to in the near future, and I know you have that drawing class with deb whistler, tell her I said hi.

2. You got it, Jasmine; I will for sure tell her you said “hey!” You’ll make it to Africa at some point. We still have the rest of our lives to live!

Thanks, Carson. I hope my Frou Frou, GirlTalk, and Lady Gaga weren’t distracting you last night from your project :)