Go out and see the world

I love to travel. I love seeing parts of the world that I have read about or studied. I have succeeded in passing that love of seeing the world on to my children as they both have traveled widely.

One of my favorite trips was with our two children to Hong Kong. Our daughter was 11 and our son was nine. It was their first major international trip and a wonderful experience, in part, because we had good friends who were local citizens, and we saw Hong Kong through their eyes.

I remember the hot bun lady outside the hotel, the man selling grasshoppers made out of dry grass, the park nearby where elderly gentlemen bring out their birds for an “airing” early in the morning and older women practice ballroom dancing on the grass of the park.

Of course, the most magnificent view in Hong Kong is from Victoria Peak, overlooking Hong Kong Harbor. Walking around the peak during the day and seeing the lights at night is magnificent.

While I love American-style Chinese food, I must admit that some Hong Kong dishes were not among my favorites. I like Chinese noodle dishes, duck dishes, dumplings and most fish dishes. There are some flavors I just don’t like as well. I am not an adventurous eater but I found plenty to enjoy!

Since that first trip I have probably been to Hong Kong eight to nine times, sometimes teaching, sometimes traveling for business and sometimes just for pleasure. Our son spent six months there during college and our daughter returned to Asia on several other trips.

Take advantage of any opportunity to see and study the rest of the world. You never know when you may find yourself living in a different part of the globe or working in a job that requires that you interact with individuals from many other cultures.

The more travel experience you have, the more prepared you will be for a career that has some international focus. Purchase one of those books titled “Fifty Places you Must see Around the World” and start on page one. You will never understand the world in the same way once you have seen more of it.

Comments

comments